Friday 16 September 2011

Feature or not to feature?

Shortly after, I was asked to do a 'Vox Pop". This, apparently, is an informal interview. I would be asked questions in front of a camera - sounded simple enough. I was then asked if I could take on a second job for that day, same place, different director - well, I thought, daft not too! Off I went to Hampton in Middlesex, very lovely place - very Jeremy & Jemima with gated communities. The shoot was in a private house so, I arrived on time (having explored the area for the previous hour, of course), bounced in, saying "Hello" to everyone and was shown to a small, albeit, adequate room where three other girls were waiting. After tea, I was asked to go to the kitchen, don a pinny and demonstrate how to make croissants from a pack of ready pastry. This was such a blast from the past as I had previously made these over 20 years ago! Nothing quite like having warm croissants & coffee in bed on a Sunday. I hasten to add this was B.C. (before children). So there I was, being filmed sipping tea (cold tea at that) and making croissants. Once made, I had to sit on a stool, eat the croissants, be interviewed & filmed at the same time - not an easy task. Sadly, I didn't gel too well with the Director who was asking the questions so answering didn't come automatically. The sad thing was, I got on great with the client so perhaps they should have switched over although I doubt if the director would have been too pleased!
The second half of the job was for a Mexican sauce. The director came into the room and told one girl that she wasn't needed for the afternoon. I had my toes and fingers crossed that I wouldn't be sent the same way as it was a low paid job and the train fare high! Before we started we were given lunch, which was quite unexpected - homemade tomato soup & fresh bread with a cheese board to follow. I think this was the sweetener for what was about to follow. We were handed scripts to be learned within the hour. This wasn't quite what I had agreed to when I took the job. Although I find script learning no problem, the fee didn't in any way reflect the effort of line learning. However, it was to get a whole lot worse...Having learned my lengthy script, one girl said that she needed to leave early so we agreed to swap slots. Unbeknown to me this also meant swapping scripts...When my time came, I went in to the room, rehearsed my lines to camera only to be told,
"We've changed the script. You've got a new one."
I had just five minutes to learn the new one and to be filmed saying said script whilst being filmed serving cannelloni to a young lad playing my son. Fortunately, it all went well & we finally wrapped some time after 6pm. It did teach me something though - always expect the unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment