Sunday 15 April 2012

Racing Women

Text: People wanted to play passengers at an airport. Initially this was to be at Heathrow and although I responded to the text, I soon began to regret it as it was to be filmed at Heathrow on the first weekend of the school holidays. I was devising ways of recalling my affirmative response when the venue was suddenly changed to Kempton Racecourse. Much better!
I turned up clutching my pink M&S flight bag early of course, and just in time for breakfast (what can I say, I love my food!)  and just in time for 'Wardrobe' to grab me.
"We're thinking of putting you in uniform to be a check in girl." Fabulous! Always lovely to be given unexpected roles. Another person joined me, Kirsty, also playing a check in girl. (Isn't it funny how it is always a check in girl, never lady or woman!) Kirsty mentioned that most people on a check in desk would usually have their hair up. Kirsty had long hair so no problem but what would they make of my shortish bob?!
We were put to work behind sheets of glass looking every inch like a pair of check in girls . The lovely Olympic athletes were there plus the lovely Noel Clarke and Lenora Crinchlow, whose ticket I had to sort out. Suddenly, I was descended on by the make up man.
"Thank God, somebody that knows  how to do make up! We can use that time to spend on your hair instead!" People actually turned round and stared as he started working on my hair. I was fluffed out, back combed and swept up! He was totally brilliant!
I seemed to have far more hair than I started with and yet it was all mine!
Filming began and we quickly got into our roles.
"Did you pack your bag yourself? Have you left your luggage unattended at any time?
Any liquids, gels, sharp instruments?" as we handed out boarding passes. We smiled, gestured (towards the 'boarding gate) and checked  information on our computers. Actually we didn't have computers so made do with a couple of old screens and merrily tapped on those. Suddenly, the word 'wrap' was mentioned. We were taken in to the side room and peoples names were called out. Were they the people that were staying or going? Everyone gets the same rate of pay which ever way. It was a wrap for me and Kirsty - a very short, very enjoyable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment